Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Summary on Upsells

Summary on Upsells


Having said all this, keep in mind that a successful upsell is one that the customer never regrets. In order for upselling to succeed always look at the upsell from the customer's point of view. The ultimate goal should not be to increase your take but rather to increase the customer's ultimate satisfaction. If you approach upselling from this point of view then the money will follow naturally. Think long term not short term.

The words you use will also determine how successful your upselling endeavors will be. Take a lesson from Amazon.com . After every sale they will try to upsell you with yet another item. But you will notice they never write “We recommend”. They always write “Customers who bought this item also bought”. It's a subtle difference but one that probably makes Amazon millions of dollars.

So to convert this info to your photobooth business, when you are trying to sell green screen, do not say “I recommend you get green screen.” Always say, “Many of our customers request green screen. They find it adds to the excitement their guests experience.”

PROPS




Props are an essential part of the photobooth experience and are one of the major factors that will set you apart from other photobooths in your area.

Ideas For Props

Props you can use are endless. Here are just a few categories to help get you started:

Hats – Any kind of hats from Animal Characters to Sombreros – the key is to have it show part of the face and not be a full mask.

Mustache On A Stick

Blow Up Instruments – Guitars – Saxaphones, Microphones

Sunglasses – of all kinds, normal and novelty.

Signs – I'm With Whoever, Chalk Board, Wipe Erase Boards
Wigs - Colorful

Holiday / Event Related
            Christmas - Santa Hat, Reindeer Antlers, White Beard
                        New Years
                        St. Patty's Day
                        Birthday Hats and Signs

Where To Buy Props

Sherman Specialty

www.4funparties.com - some nice props specifically listed for photobooths

Windy City Novelty

www.windycitynovelties.com – also a great selection of kits and separate pieces for photobooths

Rhode Island Novelty

www.rinovelty.com – ironically Rhode Island Novelty is located in Massachusetts – they also have some great props for photobooth operators

Party City

I find a lot of my favorite props at Party City.

My favorites are the signs packages that they offer.

PARTY PHOTO FUN SIGNS 12CT – SKU 455436

This package contains 12 signs with 24 very relavant sayings, one on each side. Yes you could make your own, but I just like the way these are presented and the way they appear in the photos and I would say that they are one of my most popular props. The only downside is that they don't last forever, but at the price of $2.99 at Party City, if they last 10 shows they have paid for themselves.

For weddings I also add the following

BRIDAL SHOWER PHOTO SIGNS 12CT – SKU 471055

These signs are also only $2.99 at Party City and well worth the cost.

Here are a few of my other favorites at Party City:

FEELING GROOVY PEACE SIGN BOWLER HAT – SKU 536932  PRICE .99

BALLOON PARTY THE PARTY'S HERE YARD SIGN 14 in X 15 in – SKU 66011 PRICE $5.99

CTS Wholesale Sunglasses


Based out of Oregon, www.ctswholesalesunglasses.com has a wide assortment of sunglases sold in lots of 12 for the most part with prices ranging from .66 to $3 each– they also have a novelty section that is great for photobooths, with Devo sunglasses, “Bats” sunglasses, “Frankenstein” sunglasses, flashing sunglasses, well you get the idea.

They also have a sunglass display for $16 that will help you keep all the sunglasses organized.

They also sell hats – my favorite is the jester hat that at last check was being sold at $30 for 12 of them.

Dollar Stores

Some of the props at dollar stores are garbage, but others are irreplaceable, especially now that dollar stores have become dollar-and-up (lol) stores. Many times I find props in dollar stores that I can't find at a better price at wholesale. When I do find something good I tend to stock up on it.

The only down side to dollar stores seems to be that they have very few after-season sales on items that  are not perishable. Of course when the item is a dollar in the first place, well it is hard to discount that.

Garage Sales

If you enjoy attending garage sales, you might be amazed at the quality of goods you may be able to find that could be used as photobooth props.

I enjoy garage sales (though I don't have the time to attend them that I would like) because you never know what you are going to find. I may spend an entire morning and find nothing and then another day I just stop at one sale on the way to something else and I find the buy of a lifetime. According to Forest Gump, “life is like a box of chocolates” and I really like the fact that at a garage sale you never know what you are going to get.

I really find it hard to NOT stop at a garage sale though sometimes I am prevented from doing so either because of time limitations or because of who else is in the car that has no interest in garage sales. No, I have never found that million dollar piece of artwork for a dollar, but I have picked up a lot of lesser items. Back in the 1980s I bought a lot of lps dirt cheap at garage sales, and indirectly it was my massive record collection that not too much later (1987) led me on the path to becoming a DJ and much later a photobooth operator and owner. So I guess you could say, if it were not for garage sales, I probably would not be writing this book.

Thrift  Shops

No I am not talking about the Maclemore song but since I mentioned garage sales, I may as well mention thrift shops. Once again, looking for props here is an adventure – they will probably not be as cheap as garage sales, but cheaper than regular stores. Of course, I tend to avoid things from thrift shops that I can't wash, unless in the rare instance it is new of course.

 

Re-Used Props Or New Props


This is a business decision every photobooth operator needs to make.

I offer 3 levels of service depending on the package booked: (call it an upsell if you want-lol)

                     standard assortment of re-used props (CHEAPEST)
                     brand new props that we keep at the end of the night (MORE EXPENSIVE)
                     brand new props that are distributed to the guests at the end (MOST EXPENSIVE)

Many of our props are hats and blow-up instruments. Many times guests like to take the props onto the dance floor and have fun with them as almost a DJ prop. If they have booked the highest end package I definitely let them do that – on occasion I have let them do that with other packages as well. After all it is my job to entertain the guests and despite the risk of prop loss or damage (keeping in mind that many of these props are fairly inexpensive to begin with) I let them have their fun with it. I do my best to collect the props at the end of the night – they are sometimes sitting on tables or on the floor.

When there are lots of kids at your party you might definitely suggest the brand new props that are distributed at the end of the party approach. First off, props are much more likely to grow legs at a kids party than an adult party (unless it is a drunken stupor party-lol) and kids are generally delighted to have something like a prop to walk away with at the end of the party. In one case, I had the DJ in the last 15 minutes of the party give them away. This just made the night.

I think I am one of very few operators in my area that offer all-new props and this is something that makes me stand out. Most clients do not go for the option yet it is all part of the marketing strategy.

I also offer glow sticks and bracelets in my higher-end packages. While it does not add that much to the pictures themselves people really like them and when I allow them to keep them they go around the room and it attracts more attention to the fun people are having in the photobooth. The glow sticks are available from most novelty wholesalers and as well at www.sureglow.com which at a recent DJ convention sold a $15 package of lots and lots of glow sticks and bracelets. I used this with great success at a number of my shows.

Inflatable Props


Not everyone will agree with me, but I love inflatable props. They are easy to transport, relatively cheap and the ones I use are very colorful and so they blend in nicely with the pictures. They do have a couple of drawbacks. They don't last forever and yes, you do have to blow them up at the start of the event and let the air out at the end, but usually I don't have a problem making the time as I generally arrive quite early at my events anyway and rarely have any problems.

At a minimum I will carry a blowup guitar, blowup sax and 2 blowup mics. They are readily available from any of the novelty stores.

Higher End and Custom / Specialty Prop Websites

There are many companies that make custom props. Check them out on the internet and then order from your favorites.

www.etsy.com – has lots of prop vendors – just do a search for “photobooth props” and you will see them all listed.



Limbo Sticks

So, now its time for yet a bit more shameless self promotion. Long before I got into the photobooth business, I was selling collapsible limbo sticks for DJs . I have had a number of other products that I have been selling over the years, but by far my best seller has consistently been the decorated collapsible limbo stick which I also wholesale to a variety of DJ stores and novelty wholesalers.

You can buy these limbo sticks online at either www.djcompanionrecords.com or www.ezphotobooths.ca .  Just look for the props section in the later case.

I am not going to try and over-sell this and try to tell you that you cannot do a photobooth without a limbo stick. This is absolutely not true.



I will tell you what I do however. Many times I have combination DJ and photobooth shows so I do put a number of limbo sticks in with both my DJ systems and photobooth systems. In the case of the photobooths I do sometimes use the limbo sticks for decorative purposes. I do sometimes make a joke that you must do the limbo in order to get your picture taken.

I have also had some girls take the limbo stick and turn it into a stripper pole. Now just so I make this perfectly clear – the limbo stick can only be used as a similated stripper pole for pictoral purposes. It has no vertical strength and could not be used as an actual stripper pole.





The biggest thing I like about the limbo stick is that it folds up very easily no matter what I do with it. Look at all the fun you can have for only $29.95.

No comments:

Post a Comment